Thursday, November 15, 2012

Baby's first watermarble

I tried watermarbling about four months ago, before I started taking pictures of manicures, with dollar store polish. It ... didn't work. At all. The polish immediately sank to the bottom of the cup or seemed to instantly dry on the surface of the water, and couldn't be manipulated in any way.

I'm older and wiser, now. I was sure I could do it. I've read every tutorial, seen every YouTube video, have a dramatically better stash...

But for some feeble-minded reason, I didn't use my awesome polishes. I tried with two Style Essentials unnamed polishes (I got a set of four at ROSS for $4) and one Finger Paints lacquer, Cerulean Seascape.

Guess what? It was a mess. While I used filtered room temperature water, the Style Essentials polishes didn't spread AT ALL, so even when I had a pretty design in the water, they were super thick and gloppy. I'm only really happy with my index finger.

On the good side, while this dried before my topcoat, I spent a while seeing what various polishes did in the water and I think I have a chance of a good result on my next effort. The Sally Girl stuff and Sally Hansen polishes seemed to behave well, the OPI cremes did okay, but the shimmers didn't spread at all. The L'oreal stuff seemed to play along nicely, too. I didn't try with any glitters or indies because it seems like a waste.

If you have any tips for a good watermarble, I'm all ears! I shall overcome the dread watermarble! And we will all rejoice! Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment