Friday, November 16, 2012

An homage to the art of the fan brush

I saw the coolest mani, done by Kimber at Kimber's Lacquer Korner that I knew I wanted to replicate. Hers turned out far better, as you can see if you click on her blog name.

So I asked my 11-year-old daughter to find four colors that worked together but weren't too similar. She did a great job, picking Sally Hansen CSM Black Platinum, Sinful Colors' Let's Talk, NOPI Lights, Kim-era, Action!, and Circus by Andrea's Choice Tightrope.

I put on two coats of the NOPI, then took my fan brush, spread the bristles, and dipped it into drops on my palette. I did light horizontal swipes each way, changing between the Circus, Sally Hansen, and Sinful Colors after completing both hands.

It's a cool effect, but the versions done by Kimber and her inspiration were both better executed. I think my fan brush wasn't quite stiff enough, plus I think I had too much paint on the brush.

I'll try again sometime, perhaps with a craft fan brush instead of a (totally never used) make-up fan brush. It's a learning process. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment