Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I've seen a lot of great mummy manicures, and I've seen the fantastic spun sugar manicures (XOXOAlexisLeigh does a fantastic one here!), but I haven't seen anyone try to combine the two. (That doesn't mean no one has, just that I haven't seen it done in the many many blogs I follow).

So here it is. I did My First Ruffian (without actually referring to pictures I've seen before, so maybe it's more like a framed mani. My next ruffian won't have the underwear showing on the sides) and kept my left ring finger un-ruffianed for the art.

So on the bottom, we have Sinful Colors' Black on Black, then two coats of Sally Hansen CSM's Commander in Chic. On my ring finger, I put on two coats of the black, and then mixed 3 drops of Commander in Chic with 5 drops of White On to make a lighter, more bandage-y color. I taped my finger to avoid some mess, and taped off an area for the mummy's eyes, and mixed and stirred and mixed the combo color, for a long time. It was probably 5 minutes or so, before it got gummy enough to become stringy.

I followed the spun sugar manicure directions and it really, actually...worked! Amazing! Success isn't my normal outcome with these experiments.

I dotted on eyeballs and pupils, and I let the whole thing dry for about an hour, and then put on a topcoat of SV, which ended up ruining some of the definition of the strands, but I'm overall happy with my effort.

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I had intentions of doing Halloween nail art but never anything like this because I shy away from freehand. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete