Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Christmas Story, and how fitting!

I have always loved A Christmas Story. The whole thing makes me giggle and snork and slap my leg laughing, every year. Maybe it helps put things into perspective -- you know that no matter how many things go awry in your holiday plans, no one stuck his tongue to a pole, or gave you a pink bunny suit, and your dinner is safe from marauding dogs.

In honor of this movie, my manicure is based on A Christmas Story. And it had about as many disasters as the movie.

I had a BRILLIANT IDEA. Truly revolutionary. I was going to turn the nail-blogging community on its HEAD. I had built it up as the most awesome thing EVER. In my head. I was going to decoupage. ON MY NAILS!

Guess what? The reason why no one decoupages paper onto their nails is because it doesn't really work. Even with the PVA base. It sticks up at the edges, the paper doesn't conform to the shape of the nail, and... it's annoying as all heck.

I figured this out about ten minutes after finishing the last coat and realizing that the Seche Vite on top was never going to dry, that the paper was never going to lay flat, and I snapped some pictures without bothering to clean up, the sooner to get it off.

Maybe I was doomed by picking that movie. I had some wrapping paper and thought I could go with the theme. The base is Sinful Colors' Sugar Sugar, the black is Black on Black, and the white in the broken glasses on my index finger is White On by Sally Hansen.

Ah, being humbled by my own lack of skill. It's good for the soul.

In the meantime, I'm certain the other challengers had far more success. Go check them out!

8 comments:

  1. Proper decoupage is difficult too. At least you tried. I don't have the patience to cut the finicky shapes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the best laid plans of mice and polish addicts! We all have these "This is going to awesome!...OMG, what did I do!" manis. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooo much for sharing!!! And making it ok to not be perfect! As bloggers I think we can be too hard on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when other bloggers show their flops. It shows that we all have bad days :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens! You had an idea & ran with it. That's what counts, the creative journey, not the destination! It may be that you need to use different adhesive or it may be an idea that just won't work. You don't know unless you try & I commend you for trying!

    (I think I may be stalking you, Jenna! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, next time will be better, i'm sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, at least you were thinking outside the box! I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete